19th-Century Building for Today’s Needs
Yale University’s Anthropology Department consolidated its teaching and research labs, faculty offices, seminar rooms and administration offices into a single facility at 158 Whitney Avenue. Originally built in 1835 as a Greek-style residence, Yale acquired the historic structure in 1923.
The design and construction team extensively restored, structurally reinforced and set the 19th-Century building on a new foundation. This project also updated its interior to meet current health and safety standards using new mechanical, electrical and fire safety systems with state-of-the-art energy management and controls systems.
The expanded and renovated facility supports high-tech graduate and undergraduate programs with dissection labs, specimen storage, academic teaching spaces, modern classrooms and administrative offices. The building’s exterior reflects the historic character of Yale University’s surrounding buildings.
The heating and cooling thermal demands for the building were met through connection to Yale University’s energy-efficient cogen plant.